Attack in Ziggy’s

A current University of York student was violently assaulted by a York graduate at Ziggy’s nightclub this month. The victim, who wishes to remain anonymous, was headbutted at the downstairs bar on the November 1.

Another student who witnessed the attack was in the vicinity of the student when he was assaulted.

The student, who wishes to remain anonymous, described the behaviour of the assailant as “drunk and cocky”, and claimed that the attack was “completely unprovoked.”
The blow from the headbutting opened up a several inch gash on the victim’s forehead, which the witness claimed “splattered my shirt with blood”.

The bleeding victim was taken into the back of the club in a condition of shock and had his wound cleaned up. Security staff searched the club but the attacker had already deserted the scene.

The victim was unwilling to comment on the attack, saying “it’s in the past and I don’t want to dredge that all back up again.”

Of the attacker, he said “I know the guy and as far as I’m concerned he’s on the edge of the earth. I just don’t want to bring any of that up now. A lot of my friends were very upset by what happened and it’s for their sake that I don’t want to talk about it.”

Attempts to bring police charges against the attacker collapsed due to a lack of “neutral witnesses”.

His identity is believed to be widely known but cannot be disclosed for legal reasons.