Xtra-time for Halifax events

I was saddened to read that Daniel Whitehead doesn’t like Xtra events, and as such is dismissing the Xtra VIP Card as a waste of money. It also surprised me, as I can’t remember seeing Daniel at any recent Xtra events, and his article left me wondering where he collected his obviously highly-informed and balanced information from. Despite the fire alarms disrupting the Xtra Beach Party this Freshers’ Fortnight, everybody I’ve spoken to so far has told me they really enjoyed the event and will attend in the future (whether or not they have a VIP Card).

I have also been offering students who were unsure about the VIP card the chance to try our events before they bought the card, with a refund on any discount they would have picked up had they bought in advance. Anybody who accuses me of wanting to “rip off” Halifax students has obviously not spent any time with me as I’ve been working since January to get Halifaxers the best deal on everything they do here. Any student who hasn’t enjoyed one of our events should get in touch, via [email protected] (or just by seeing me in person).

Also, the only people who college-loving students should be making voodoo dolls of are those who dismiss events run by the college committees that get people into campus bars, where the atmosphere is better than anywhere else, drinks are cheap, and the venues are far safer. On my dartboard will be going the faces of all those who make no effort to save bar provision (and the college spirit which that creates) on campus, and then blame failure on me and the JCRC chairs.

So far, the feedback I’ve heard from students only reinforces the work we’ve been doing, and I’ll make sure we keep going until they tell me otherwise. If Daniel would like to help, he need only let me know.

Sam Bayley
President of Halifax College