Via Vecchia, 6 Shambles

It’s easy to miss the inconspicuous Via Vecchia – not only does it have an extremely small shop front, but the red sign hanging outside is left enigmatically blank. However, if you do spot it, you are amply rewarded by the treats within. The worst nightmare of anyone on the Atkins Diet, this little shop is a big slice of bread heaven. Once you get inside, you are greeted by a wide variety of baked goods, from olive and tomato focaccia and cheese herb rolls to crusty loaves and cinnamon and raisin bagels; there’s something here to suit every set of taste buds.

True, its opening hours are hardly student friendly (it generally closes around midday), but it is well worth a trip into town to nab one (or a selection!) of these tasty morsels before they fly off the shelves. Best to get there early; the later in the morning you go the less bread there is and the possibility of disappointment rises significantly. On one occasion, I had my eye on a rather cheeky looking pesto roll sitting forlornly on its own in the tray when it was snapped up by the woman in front of me – disaster!

However, Via Vecchia definitely offers an incentive worth getting up for, and gorgeous warm bread is a much better hangover cure than a lie-in anyway.

Reviewed by
Marisa Tuffnell