Morrissey, Live at The Lowry, Salford

“So this is Salford” Morrissey grinned at the audience before launching into what he called a “night of torment”. In the town he made a Mecca of after the famous Smiths photo of the 1980s, he did not disappoint.

Playing at the Lowry’s intimate Lyric Theatre, Moz proceeded with renditions of songs from the new album, the comeback You Are The Quarry and, of course, a few Smiths classics.

Highlights of the night included the caustic ‘I Will See You In Far Off Places’, ‘Still Ill’ and the recent masterpiece ‘Life Is A Pigsty’, demonstrating his band’s immensely underrated abilities.
Disappointingly, however, compared to previous occasions, the Smiths quota was considerably reduced, with the crowd pleasing ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ notably absent.

Moz was also on fine acerbic form, responding to a shout from the audience of “Get your shirt off Moz” with a smirking “You can’t be that starved!”. Radio 1, Bono and ‘Madogga’ all received tonguelashings.

Concluding with a one song encore of ‘Irish Blood, English Heart’ as they had to “be quick, Shayne Ward is on next,” he said a final “ciao” at the end. He may be too old for Radio One, but we know it’s far from over.

Reviewed by Charlotte Bonner

18/04/06