The Raj Tandoori Restaurant, Bootham

A stone’s throw away from Kings Manor, this restaurant is excellently situated for both history and archeaology students wandering around for a decent meal in town. The Raj’s main offer is a discounted business lunch, an advertised five courses for £4.95. Though I would debate whether this is actually five courses (can you count popadoms and rice as separate courses?) it is a good deal as it also includes bhaji starters, selected curries and an ice cream or coffee for dessert. For lighter appetites there is a light snack lunch for £3.50, the same as above but without the curry and rice.

Although fairly empty when I went in (though it was Tuesday lunchtime) the waiters were prompt (so much so I’d only just finished my starter before my mains came) and the meals were well presented and cooked. There were plenty of poppadoms for starters and a whole array of sauces, and the bhaji and salad starter was also very good. The ice cream at the end was slightly disappointing, only one scoop! It was also a shame that I felt so rushed, but with four staff on for the three people present it’s understandable. In all it’s a good place to get a good quality meal for just under a fiver, probably even worth paying extra for an evening dinner.

Reviewed by Ben Toone