Election night 2006: tantrums and tears

The election night special Club D ended in traditional fashion, with the strains of “We love you Derwent” still ringing. However, this time the partisan home crowd had more to celebrate than usual, as they welcomed the ascension of their former JCR chair, Rich Croker, to the position of SU President elect.

The night itself had a stripped down feel, despite the attempts to emulate the legendary John Rose, who dressed up as a roller-skating Stormtrooper at last years event, by wearing Cavalier costumes. The team effort prompted the question, overheard in the queue for the bar, “why are they dressed as pirates?” The last minute passing of the new Constitution meant that nine positions had been cancelled during the voting period and only eight results were set to be announced on the night.

Despite the opportunity for alcohol consumption, there were no ventures onto the dance floor until Christine Barnes and Leigh Kroeger won their election for Events Officers, and provided a victory dance instead of a speech.

The first real challenge occured for the position of Education and Welfare Officer. It was the Hindson-approved Amy Foxton who took victory over Bex Emery in the final round after a close contest.

Next came the position of Services Officer. The exit poll showed a close result, and although the winner was correct, the victory was emphatic, as Woods polled 200 more votes than her nearest competitor, Matt Wareham. Fellow candidate, Carl Nuttall, reportedly left the event in floods of tears without stopping to witness how his friend and co-societies officer, Adam Stevenson, fared in the Presidential race.

The final election started at 1am amid confusion. First, an eager journalist from YSTV sensed an election scoop and announced that Colin Hindson had been thrown out of the event for being drunk and disorderly. Although definitely a touch worse for wear, he was eventually discovered as just being detained on the phone. The second shock came as it was announced that 267 virtual ballot papers were declared spoiled, prompting some wise guy to wonder whether people had tried to scribble on their monitors.

Nuttall’s decision to make a swift exit seemed appropriate as Stevenson failed to make an impact, getting eliminated in the third round, only ahead of Robert Griffin and RON. Calvin Kwan, who had been tipped as the first overseas President, Dan Thornton and Joe Hedges were eliminated in the penultimate round, leaving just Croker and Hindson to battle it out.

Despite Steve Hill, former Langwith chair and close friend, forcibly telling Croker he had it in the bag even before the first round of announcements had started, the celebrations didn’t start until the Returning Officer, Nat Thwaites-MacGowan, confirmed that he had won by a mere 33 votes. As Croker took the stage the crowd went wild for their champion, but what else would you expect from a Club D?