Archie Bronson Outfit, Derdang Derdang

Think dirty drawls, love-riddled lyrics, itch-inducing melodies and drums tighter than your emo pal’s skinnies. Think a danceable Radiohead. This is the Archie Bronson Outfit, and their second album Derdang Derdang is quite frankly brilliant. Vocally it will rip your little heart out, lyrically it will mash your mind, and instrumentally it will burrow under your skin and bluntly refuse to leave until your muscles pulsate and your head is dizzy-sick from bopping. Let it in.

The seduction begins with ‘Cherry Lips’; a haze of hypnotic riffs, teasing pauses and moans of cruel seduction. The first single to be taken from the album is ‘Dart for My Sweetheart’; a menacing affair of nails-down-the-blackboard guitars and a death-march rhythm. The album exhibits many other gems, the most glistening being ‘Dead Funny’; a dark, psychedelic track, laden with smirk-worthy irony. This welcome offering is rounded off with ‘Harp for My Sweetheart’, an altered, acoustic version of ‘Dart for my Sweetheart’ – pure, unadulterated bliss.

Therefore, hurrah, the Outfit have officially decapitated today’s rock ‘n’ roll rulebook: the album doesn’t slope off down a half-hearted spiral after track four, the whole thing is actually entrancing.

Reviewed by Camille Augarde

Out This Week