Alcuin burglary startles students

Fresh concerns have been raised over the security of college accommodation after thieves broke into a new block in Alcuin despite the presence of students nearby.

The break-in happened at around 8pm on Friday the 3rd of March, when thieves gained access to the building through a window on the bottom floor and stole electrical items estimated to be worth over a thousand pounds. The victim of the burglary returned to the University after a weekend in London to find his laptop and amplifier missing.

The robbery went unnoticed by his flat mates, despite the fact that four of them were sitting in the kitchen eating dinner at the time it occurred. They claim not to have heard or seen anything. It was a resident from the floor above who eventually alerted them to the robbery.
The resident who saw the burglars leave does not wish to be named. She described them as “three young men, one of them on a bike” and said “I was looking out of the window and saw three youths running away carrying electrical equipment so I went downstairs to tell [the residents] to check their rooms.” It was later discovered that a window-pane at the back of the building had been ripped out. Bike marks left by the departing thieves were clearly visible in the snow.

The Alcuin porters and University security were contacted, who then informed the police. Forensic tests and finger printing were carried out on the room and window after police had interviewed the residents. No suspects have yet been identified.

By Emma Hutchinson
news correspondent