Uncontested AU Presidency election victory for Tom Moore

This week’s Student Union elections saw Tom Moore voted in as AU President as the sole candidate for the position. The AU Referees Coordinator stood alone in an election campaign that produced intense competition for many of the other Union posts.

Despite the inevitability of his success, a none-the-less jubilant Tom Moore admitted to being “really nervous” in the run up to his success on Friday, and even expressed a wish that others had run for the post. This sentiment is likely to have been shared by the AU.

With the elections over, Moore can now look forward to a year which promises good things for the AU. York is to host this year’s Roses clash with rivals Lancaster, an event that the new AU President claims to be “coming along nicely”.

To Moore, however, continuing the “good work” of this year’s President Nik Engineer promises to be his biggest challenge, with increasing University sport’s standing in the eyes of the University. “The University has a tendency to focus on the academic side of the University” claimed Moore, and as such his priority for the year will be to continue to convince them that “sport is important too.”

Moore however does not consider the widely publicised lack of funding this year to have warranted the attention that it has received. Indeed, for Moore, the supposed underfunding has only really manifested itself in the realm of transport – a problem more than outweighed by the significant expansion of facilities, most important of which being the eventual completion of the lightweight structure on Heslington campus.

Despite its “early teething problem” Moore considers this to have been a great success, offering greater opportunities for training time for sports teams on both a University and college level. One ofMoore’s priorities will be to push for a continuation of this funding. Other priorities will be to ensure that students are the main beneficiaries of such investments, with “less time for the public and more for the students”, and a greater emphasis on college sport.

In light of such an involved campaign, the AU does not seem to have been disadvantaged by the uncontested election for Presidency, and can instead look forward to a promising year, both in terms of funding and sport itself.

By Sam Cartwright
SPORTS EDITOR