York to have 200ft observation wheel

The City Council have given the go-ahead to plans for yet another tourist attraction in York – a giant, London Eye-style observation wheel.

The attraction will soar 60 metres above the city and offer a 20-mile panoramic view, taking in the city’s historical centre, as well as the Minster and the river Ouse. It will have 42 viewing capsules, each with a capacity of eight people.

The wheel is expected to open at the National Railway Museum’s Leeman Road site in April of this year.

According to the NRM’s head, Andrew Scott, the wheel would “not only provide a fantastic opportunity to see the city as it has never been seen before, but would also bring many more visitors to York”.

He estimates that, over the three-year lease agreed with World Tourist Attractions, the owners of the wheel whose own bid to construct it near the Ouse was withdrawn early last year , the number of visitors drawn to York by the attraction could potentially reach one million.

The joint venture will also create around 30 jobs locally.
While not as large as the London Eye, which measures 135 metres, the wheel will become the second tallest structure in York, just ten metres below the Minster’s famous Lantern Tower.

Organisers at the NRM told Nouse that on a clear day passengers in the capsules will be able to see as far as the University water tower.