Two youths involved in University police chase

Two youths were arrested following a high-speed police chase that ended in Wentworth on Sunday evening.

During a routine stop and check by a local police patrol car in Tang Hall, the two males said to be aged between 16 and 18 fled the scene. After a chase which lasted several minutes, the van which was a Ford Escort came to a halt, after crashing into a fern tree on the fields situated above the Biology department.

The youths attempted to escape from the car at the time of the crash, with one being arrested at the scene and the second escaping despite attempts by several police to capture the fugitive on campus. However, he later handed himself in to the police station after ‘further enquiries’ had been made to his whereabouts.

Police officers at the scene of the crash refused to comment at the time of the incident. But later in the evening, duty Sergeant Pearson of the York Police Department said that the youths were “from the Eastern side of York”, and known to have been involved in “several crimes of a similar nature in the past”. He added that the chase involved two police cars in the original road pursuit and further vehicles were deployed to search for the youth when he fled on foot.

Nouse became aware of the incident after a youth was seen running passed our offices between the hours of six and seven on Sunday 19th February. A second year Politics undergraduate who wished to remain unnamed witnessed one of the youths fleeing the scene. He said ‘I was walking home past Vanbrugh after a hard days work and observed a sporty looking youth sprinting past me. Soon after a policeman followed and I realised that he was in pursuit’. When asked whether he had considered making a citizen’s arrest he added ‘I didn’t think it was my prerogative to chase after him’.

By Daniel Whitehead NEWS EDITOR