The Pantry, 14 Tower Street

Doubtless many students will have passed The Pantry on the way to and from town. Situated opposite Clifford’s Tower, it has a lovely view and you can sit and watch the world walk senselessly by with the soothing strains of Jeff Buckley and Badly Drawn Boy playing in the background.

Although from the outside The Pantry looks a little like a quaint tea room with all the cakes in the window, inside it serves a good range of hearty homemade food. Hot sandwiches start at £1.50, jacket potatoes at £1.90 and the homemade soup of the day served with a bread roll is £2.20.

They also offer a wide range of sandwich fillings including something a bit more adventurous than the standard campus fare, such as sweet chilli chicken or stilton and apple. If you have a sweet tooth and can be tempted by something sinful, why not try the indulgent hot chocolate which comes topped with a fluffy mound of freshly whipped cream, marshmallows and flaked chocolate – not for the faint hearted! It comes in at a slightly overpriced, but worthwhile £2.80. The service was friendly and relaxed, and they even offer a delivery service. The Pantry is the perfect antidote to the soulless surroundings of endless coffee house chains.

Reviewed by
Helen Hunt