Kidney Bean Curry with Butter-Fried Mushrooms

This vegetarian curry has tons of taste without being too spicy. Compulsive meat-eaters who worry about their protein intake can of course add a bit of chicken around step 3, but you owe it to yourself to at least try it once without. As it happens, not every single dish benefits from the addition of dead animals, though most certainly do!

(Serves 2)

Ingredients:

1 onion
1 carrot
4 cloves of garlic
1 tin (c. 240g) of kidney beans
1 leek
150 ml single cream
garam masala spice
ground cumin
salt and black pepper
soy sauce
oil
butter
3 large open mushrooms (or 6 regular)
120 grams basmati rice
full-fat yoghurt (optional)

Directions:

1. Chop the garlic finely. Cut the onion into four chunks and slice. Peel the carrot and cut across its length before slicing. Score the leek across its length and rinse under water and slice. Clear the worst dirt off the mushrooms and slice them roughly.

2. Bring water to the boil and add the basmati rice– 60 grams per person is usually about right. Resist the temptation to add far too much rice at this point. Rice is one of those things where you may actually want to follow the cooking instructions on the package, but make sure the rice boils for at least 12 minutes in any case.

3. Heat up some oil in a cook pot, and melt a sizeable chunk of butter in a frying pan. You want to go for medium heat in the cook pot and high heat in the frying pan. Once the oil in the cook pot becomes runny, add about 2 tablespoons of garam masala spice along with the onion, the carrot, and roughly two thirds of the chopped garlic.

4. Add the mushrooms and the remaining garlic to the frying pan (not the cook pot!) once the butter stops sizzling.

5. Stir the curry occasionally, but keep a close eye on the mushrooms. Turn down the heat once they are golden and add a bit of black pepper. The mushrooms are now finished- turn your attention back to the curry at this point.

6. Add the leek to the curry once the rice is cooked, and give it no more than 30 seconds in the pan before adding the single cream, the kidney beans, a touch of cumin and a few drops of soy sauce.

7. Bring the pan to the boil. This is important so that the kidney beans are heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and then serve with basmati rice, mushrooms, and a touch of full-fat yoghurt on the side.

Variations:

Don’t like kidney beans? Try a tin of chickpeas instead.

If you’re cooking for friends why not buy some traditional curry accompaniments such as naan bread, mango chutney and a few cans of lager?