II Paradiso del Cibo, 40 Walmgate

I have long been searching for the hidden gems of York’s eateries. I’m pleased to say I think I’ve found one in Il Paradiso del Cibo. Sardinian owner, Paolo Silesu, is on a mission to bring a little taste of Italy to the people of York.

There is a convincing Italian atmosphere as soon as you enter the door; gorgeous smells, charismatic staff, and Italian soaps playing in the background. It made such a change to see real Italian food on offer, and at reasonable prices too. From 10.30 to 5.30, students can enjoy any pizza, pasta or panini and drink for just £2.50. I tried the pizza to go, ‘rectangular slices which fold like a sandwich’. I’d never tried anything like it before. I would also recommend the Italian coffee served with a cake for £1.70, which was just the trick before my 9.15 at Kings Manor!

You can choose to eat in or out, and they also have a deli counter serving a variety of authentic Italian foods. If you are feeling particularly hungry, I would definitely opt for one of the ciabatta sandwiches. On Sundays there is also a great all-you-can-eat deal on pizza, pasta and salad for £3.50. When you feel lunchtime hunger pangs, don’t head to Subways in town, make a trip to Il Paradio del Cibo. You will not be disappointed.