Coheed and Cambria, Manchester Academy

The task of being the penultimate act at the ‘VS’ tour show this evening falls to Kerrang’s favourite protégés, Coheed and Cambria, and it is clear from the first note played tonight that we are witnessing the birth of something special in this band. Singer Claudio’s falsetto voice is as flawless as his impossible head of hair. The band follow up a haunting string introduction from second record In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth with a collection of tracks from all of their three albums, holding the audience’s attention completely.

On stage, there is something mystical about the band; they say little, do not throw themselves around the stage like wounded animals, and are clearly taken into another realm by their own music. The beauty of their live show, however, is that for an hour, the audience goes with them. Quite indescribable instrumentals link anthemic choruses and unforgettable melodies; the show closing with a screaming guitar solo which would have made Hendrix weep.

Thrice close tonight’s show, delivering a performance that on any other night, would have brought the house down, but tonight, after the blinding brilliance of Coheed’s set, it is something of an anti-climax.

Reviewed by
Gemma Day

02/02/06