Charity Dodgeball to be held by York AU

This Saturday will witness the return of last year’s extremely successful charity dodgeball tournament. The idea was inspired by the hit box office movie ‘Dodgeball’, starring Vince Vaughn, and was originally intended to form a part of the lightweight structure on Heslington campus. The format will be much like that of the football World Cup, but there will be a Plate Competition for those in 3rd and 4th place in the groups. The event will involve 32 teams and over 320 participants, and is likely to attract an audience in excess of a hundred students.

The tournament, despite its link to the opening of the lightweight structure, is primarily seen by the AU as a simple yet highly effective charity event. AU President Nik Engineer believes the tournament to be ‘the perfect charity event, as it costs next to nothing to run’. The cost of entry is £10 per team, with all proceeds going to Medecins Sans Frontieres (the AU’s charity of the year). The AU’s target for this year is to raise £5,000 for charity. Already this academic year, £3,500 has been raised, and so with events such as this lined up, the AU is well on its way to achieving its goal.

By Sam Cartwright
SPORTS EDITOR