Bay of Bengal, Bishopthorpe Road

I’d often wanted to try the Bay of Bengal and somehow never managed to, but I finally got my chance and reckon I have been missing out on a lot. Even though it’s pretty much the standard curry house décor (without the the annoying looped taped Indian music), it does have a number of advantages. One is the price – you can get starters, main meal with rice and bread, followed by ice cream for under a tenner, and two is the fact that you can bring your own beer/wine/meths and not get charged extra for it.

I spent £12 and got two poppadoms, a lamb tikka bhuna with naan, half a portion of rice and a side dish of tarka daal, pistachio kulfi (ice cream) AND two cans of Kronenberg that I got from a local offie. The food itself was spot on – even down to the mango chutney. The bhuna sauce was rich, with exceedingly tasty lamb tikka. The naan bread was soft and full of flavour, and the daal was some of the best I’ve had. The only slight let-down was that they served the ice-cream in it’s original cardboard pot, which slightly destroyed the illusion. While I have had better curries, it’s been for over twice the price. I would definitely eat there again. They do take away and I a, definitely keen to try a variety of dishes from the menu.

Reviewed by
N. Luke Abraham

1. We had a really terrible main meal at this restaurant. The Bay of Bengal special (a mix of meats) was awful (tasteless, meat unrecognizable). It tasted as though it was several curries mixed together, the worry being it was several other peoples’ curries that were half-finished. I could not believe how rude the staff at this restaurant were, to point that they were insulting to us. Let’s just say that the staff do not like to be told that the food does not taste right – they should learn that the customer is always right. Really disappointed, and it was the Birthday of the person I was with. Never again!