Basketball success as Firsts finish top

Last year Manchester University’s men’s basketball team ended up as one of the top 16 student teams in the country. In years gone by they have been the BUSA champions, and have boasted international team members at both student and senior level. All this means that by beating Manchester last week York’s men’s basketball team have achieved something truly special and outstanding. York consistently outplayed their opponents, and managed to keep control in an increasing difficult atmosphere to eventually secure one of the clubs greatest success. The result means that not only do the club finish at the top of their league, but that they have a place in the BUSA national basketball championship and a play-off to go into the Premier League for next season – both of which represent firsts for the club.

The Manchester team have had various disciplinary issues in the past – including a £1,500 fine for flying in ineligible international players for the BUSA championships – and they lived up to their reputation for being extremely difficult to play. Whilst York competed the match in characteristically good spirit, the same could not be said of the opposition, who played an extremely physical and often illegal game that left one of the York team with a 7 inch cut on his arm.

The final score was 101 – 86 but the significance of the eventual victory is far more than a 15 point gap could ever reveal.

By Nik Engineer
Sports Correspondent