York’s lacrosse team dominate

YUSU President Micky Armstrong, the veteran goalie of the men’s 1st Lacrosse team, claimed before the match that this year’s team was the strongest side he’d seen York put out. The following 60 minutes of very impressive lacrosse, founded on this man’s imperious clean-sheet, seemed to reinforce his opinion, and reflected the way the team has improved since the start of the season.

York’s dynamic attack and rock solid defence proved too much for an inexperienced Newcastle team.. The York team has remained almost unchanged for the past two years, and it is really beginning to show in the way they worked together. Perhaps the key factor in York’s fantastically successful season, however, has been the effectiveness of talented individual opportunism, playing off the support of their team-mates. This week it was the turn of Rob Towers, who was outstanding with 5 goals, mostly running and shooting from an attacking midfield position. Perhaps the most satisfying goal for the attack, however, was Dave Mason’s clean shot from a ‘fast break’ play, which finally came off after several attempts.

All four 15 minute quarters saw York entirely dominant, and as the game slipped away from Newcastle, frustration set in on their team. When captain Stevie Schumacher put their confident ’keeper, who was running up the field, on his back with a powerful body-check, the resulting stream of invective-laded threats from the recumbent goalie seemed to sum up the inability of Newcastle to affect York’s game in any of the three areas of the field. This was a fine display from a very complete team, and can only bode well for the rest of the season.

By Edward Cassels
Sports correspondent