Student apathy stops recycling in colleges

CAMPUS RECYCLING has been brought to a halt in some colleges because of a lack of student volunteers.

The news has been met with disappointment by many students, and some have been quick to blame their colleges.

However, Charlotte Bonner, an SU Environment Officer, pointed out that no college takes responsibility for the emptying of recycling bins; “without student volunteers, recycling on campus would grind to a halt”.

This has been the situation in both Alcuin and Wentworth, where the lack of Environment Represent-atives on the JCRCs has led to cleaners removing recycling boxes in all kitchens.

Tom Stratton, the recently appointed JCRC Chair for Alcuin College, has assured students that after the forthcoming by-elections, where the position of Environment Representative is contested, “the bins will be re-instated in order to let the new reps sort the situation out.”

Sue Lister, the Wentworth College Secretary, said residents had been invited to “take responsibility for clearing [their kitchen’s recycling box] on a regular basis. So far only one student has responded”.

The University is paid by York City Council for every tonne it collects and last quarter raised £300.

Despite this, the University won’t allow the money to be used to supply Environment reps with essential items such as gloves, which have to be bought with Junior Common room funds.

James Hyde, a Music Technology student, said “The University shouldn’t be allowed to keep that money – it should be put back into recycling, perhaps publicising ways to recycle on campus”.

The news comes in Think Week – a week of events designed to promote environmental awareness on campus.

YUSU Environment Officers have been giving out postcards at their events, addressed to Brian Cantor, the Vice Chancellor.

It is hoped this petition will force the University into action on their environmental policies.