Raising awareness on campus

How to keep your drink safe at night club events on campus

As drink safety concerns grow on campus, Nouse is supporting YUSU’s drink awareness campaign.

Renewed fears follow two cases in the past two months in which female undergraduates have suffered suspected drink spikings at campus events.

Nouse have reported on both these alledged cases, in a drive to support the SU’s campaign to raise awareness among students of the potential danger to their drinks.

Students are urged to be vigilant at all times, and never to leave their drinks unattended.It is advised that they stay in a group where possible, and avoid accepting drinks from strangers. It is also recommended that they consider their safety carefuly before leaving an event with someone they did not previously know. It is important that students remember that they are vulnerable to drink spiking and related offences on campus as well in in the city centre.

Male students should be aware that drink spiking does not happen exclusively to women, and are urged to take their drink safety seriously.

If you think your drink has been spiked, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Neil Barnes, the SU’s Education and Welfare Officer, can be contacted at [email protected] Further advice can be found at http://www.yusu.org/welfare, www.roofie.com and www.rapecrisis.co.uk.

Is your drink safe on campus?

• Never leave your drink unattended
  • Never accept a drink from stranger
  • Go out as a group, stay as a group and go home as a group
  • Ask the bar staff to remove bottle tops in your presence
  • Look out for our friends, don’t let others take advantage of them
  • If you feel ill or disorientation seek assitance from your friends or staff at the venue
  • If you believe your drink has been spiked always seek medical advice