No Surprise

I am notably unsurprised regarding last term’s fire in Derwent College. Numerous times when I walk around college I see cooking equipment left on, fire doors propped open and people smoking in kitchens. I know that the exact cause of the fire is still to be determined but surely the risk of similar outbreaks can be minimised were the college to be stricter regarding fire safety, and ban smoking in kitchens. In corridors as crowded as those in Derwent, all it takes is one drunken accident and an open fire door, and the whole block could go up in flames, taking every student’s work and possessions with it.

Steven Baker
Derwent College

Leave a comment



Please note our disclaimer relating to comments submitted. Please do not post pretending to be another person. Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.