Morning Runner, Wilderness is Paradise Now

It is difficult to imagine why anyone would want to listen to this music, let alone buy it or record it. Morning Runner may as well have called themselves Thirteen Cold Snowy Starsailing Radiosenseplayers and have done with it. Naturally, they will be fantastically successful among those who consider shoegazing to be an exciting spectator sport.

Relief is intermittently provided by high points such as Work and Gone Up In Flames, whose jauntily bouncing tune is a definite possibility for the Toffs’ dance floor this term. The good work is undone, however, by tracks such as Burning Benches, which clearly wants words such as ‘haunting’ and ‘epic’ to be applied to it, but somehow falls short. Be All You Want Me To Be comes a little closer to fulfiling Morning Runner’s admirable aspirations, despite the considerable disadvantage of its impressively bland title.

While competent, Morning Runner is a band too much under the influence of early noughties indie to be of interest. Despite this, their potential flashes through intermittently. Congratulations must go to Kam Tang, however. His beautiful and intricate design is by far the best aspect of this album: the front cover.
Out Now

Reviewed by Robin Seaton