Montey’s Rock Cafe, Micklegate Bar

Monty’s bills itself as “York’s independent bar for independent people”, which should be enough to encourage the more discerning student to stop following their housemates into cheesy chain bars and old man pubs. However, if any further persuasion is needed, the more reticent hipster should be charmed by shabby chic interior

Montey’s bills itself as “York’s independent bar for independent people”, which should be enough to encourage the more discerning student to stop following their housemates into cheesy chain bars and old man pubs. However, if any further persuasion is needed, the more reticent hipster should be charmed by shabby chic interior.

The menu features the full range of standards (including a margarita billed as ‘a traditional Mexican drink that we’re ALL REALLY BORED of making’) as well as a funkier, more obscure set of drinks that allow the devastatingly beautiful bar staff to roll cocktail shakers along their arms like Tom Cruise before he discovered scientology. I urge everyone to go forth and discover their own personal favourite, but I love the ginger-beer and whisky based Gatsby, possibly for the literary reference as much as the retro- fizz, and the tooth-achingly sweet Cherry Coke, which should be served at Jack Rabbit Slim’s. For those with speed- of- light metabolisms, or who are just too drunk to care, there is a whole section devoted to calorific drinks, but if you have to have something with a rude name, skip the Baileys and cream loaded Multiple Screaming Orgasm and go for the infinitely zestier Citron My Face.

1. This bar is truly crap and empty most of the time. it’s staff are rude and it serves the worst cocktails I have ever had in my whole life. If I want to pay that much for a crap cocktail I’ll go to the Living room or Capital (at least the staff are friendly!). Also the music is cheesy popular stuff, that could hardly be classed as ‘rock’. Avoid this place at all costs!

2. As a reviewer you attitude the pubs sounds a bit harsh. You should get out more. Those OLD MAN pubs are in fact probably hostelries where locals have been having a pint for years. You of course as a strapling psede trainy intelectual will have a tainted review of reality that shows up big style in your review.

Bad form love .. wait until you leave your psuede life and try to become human before you start passing judgements like this. Then maybe, just mayde someone may think your words mean something.

3. Opps forgot to mention .. it actually MONTEY’s but hey .. what the heck .. spelling the name of the bar wrong just adds to the fact you dont seem to know what you are writing about :P

4. I agree with Victoria. This pub is crap, how can it call itself Rock cafe when it plays the shit that it does. True the staff are rude and stuck up there own arses. Victoria is entitled to her own opinion and the way Mr Ireson goes on in defense of the pub, i wouldn’t be at all surprised if he worked there or has some connection with it. Come on York stop opening up all these wine bars and give us some decent alternative music venues.

5. >how can it call itself Rock cafe when it plays the shit that it does.

Umm you mean the off the beaten track, acoustic sounds from Metallica? Or the rock and blues of the great Eric Clapton? Or was it the softer U2 and Dire Straits tracks?

Just so you know and I am not trying to be sexist here, just honest, the softer tracks are there so that the music does frighten the girl friends away. Most of whom will run a mile rather than listen to some good wholesome LOUD ROCK!

You should try it when it is not so busy you might actually get a feel for the place. The staff are quite friendly although the female student that works behind the bar can be a brash with customers at times.

Just a BTW, no, I dont work there. I unlike you actually have made an effort to get to know the place a bit. There are some things I like about it and there are some things I dont but, at least unlike someone who is not just an opinionated inexperienced know it all, I dont go and write a place up after one visit.

6. I think you will find that the review was based more around the drinks that the bar offers rather than an critique of the actual place itself. The whole point of reviewing places is to give your personal opinion rather than trying to please the masses, so okay you don’t seem to agree with Lucy but this doesn’t make it any less of a review.

These words obviously mean something Kevin if they have enraged you to the point where you feel it necessary to come here and write a comment.

7. Jennifer, you camplain about York ‘opening all these wine bars’, obviously you’ll have been to Montey’s to be able to review it so adequately and can therefore tell it is far from a wine bar. The staff are not rude, the quality of service that you receive is second to none in York. No where else will you see staff taking 4 or 5 people’s order at once on a busy Friday or Saturday night. As for the music, entitled to your own opinion but I’m sure U2, Eric Clapton etc would love to be called ‘cheesy’ I’m sure!

8. >enraged you to the point where you feel it necessary to come here and write a comment

Oh come on … get a grip. The guy prolly just bumped into this stuff by accident and desided to make his opinion known

Enraged? I dont think so

9. Over the last few months it’s absolutely become my venue of choice in York. Drinks are great, especially at happy hour (which seems go on for multiple hours actually?!!?) bar staff always seem bang on the money, and up for a laugh, rather than miserable at having to be at work!

As for the music, it is absolutely second to none in York if you like real rock, and like it loud. Drinks and service i guess are open for personal debate,but this place calls itself a rock bar and plays great rock music – end of!

10. im jumping to the defence on monteys here! i love the place, ive been there a few times , the staff have never been rude to me and the large chioce of drinks are great especially if you fancy something different.
    if you dont like the music, like rock then you need to go somewhere else,may be a bit load but stil good.
    the staff are fun and laid back but work fast and mix difficult cocktails all night, very skilled in my opinion.

11. well what did you expect from the bar like that??

12. monteys is great