Keeping Faith, Jodi Picoult

We live in a Godless society, or so the media would have us believe. So what relevance does Picault’s tale of a seven year-old prophet who is able to perform miracles and shows evidence of stigmata, have for the modern reader?

The Whites are the picture-perfect, All-American family, until seven year old daughter, Faith, walks in on her father having an affair. Faith becomes withdrawn and will only talk to her imaginary friend. This doesn’t seem unusual behaviour until Faith starts to refer to her friend as ‘God’ and begins quoting passages from the Bible. In a secular household, her mother is astonished by her religious inclination. Faith’s dealings with ‘God’ escalate until she is able to heal the sick and resurrect the dead.

A media frenzy grows around Faith and the question on the lips of every journalist, religious authority, and Faith’s parents is: can Faith’s claims be genuine? The focus for the reader shifts from the child, to forming a judgement of the mother.

Regardless of its religious base, Keeping Faith deals with the universal issues of belief, morality and parenthood and should appeal to all.

£12.99, Hodder Stoughton