Editors, The Kooks, Kubichek, Fibbers, York, 17/12/2005

As the Levis ‘Ones to Watch’ tour hits York, the showcase debutantes Kubichek are a pleasant surprise, offering a knee bouncing, foot shuffling romp of a set that sounds very much like the Arctic Monkeys on acid. Although the band can’t rely on catchy choruses to get themselves noticed, as might be said of the two bands who follow them tonight, their delivery is something special, and a clear enjoyment of playing live simply adds to the Kubichek experience – even if it is for a mere 20 minutes. An aural pleasure.

Unfortunately, it becomes painfully obvious tonight that indie-infants The Kooks are, regardless of the hype, just a deceptively haired school project – unfortunately coming across as less power pop, and more the bastard offspring of The Charlatans and Gomez. Not so much a disappointment as a ‘work in progress’, tunes such the jaunty ‘Sofa Song’, and ‘Too much of Nothing’ show potential that is certainly not realised in their live performance, although recent release ‘You don’t Love Me’ certainly got the heads of the crowd nodding towards the close of the set. However, this did conveniently coincide with the bar having been open two hours, so I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Headline band Editors can certainly thank absent friends Interpol for their rise in popularity over the past few months. Indeed it has been quite phenomenal, but any sceptics, trust me, believe the hype.

Every song they play tonight, from the subversively catchy ‘Blood’ to the latest re-release, ‘Munich’, are delivered with intensity, precision, and integrity. Tom Smith’s blunt, throaty vocals captivate, with angst and anger overlaying the passion that comes through in the lyrics of each individual masterpiece from their essential album, ‘The Back Room’.

Anyone who has not bought their tickets for this year’s tour should do so now – such an intense, hypnotic musical experience is rarely found in rock/indie music today. Superb.

Reviewed by Gemma Day

1. i love the fact you seemed to think the kooks wouldn’t go very far… oh dear