Campus focus of media attention

York campus found itself the centre of international media attention after the murder of a graduate was revealed.

Rachel Entwistle, who was murdered with her baby daughter in their home in Hopkinton, near Boston, USA, met her husband whilst both were members of the University’s boat club. Adam Roney, the current boat club president, said “We were told by the University to refer all enquiries to their press office, but the BBC in particular were quite forceful about coming down and shooting footage of us rowing. We didn’t know anything about these people and it’s a situation we don’t want to be involved with.”

He revealed that the Boston Herald had been in contact but was more surprised “that people like Radio 1 and the BBC News team had bothered.”

Mickey Armstrong, the SU President, was also approached by a “number of organisations” but again refused to comment or answer any inquiries.

Roney raised questions about the role of the Press Department in assisting the Boat Club. He said “People like myself don’t deal with the national press and I didn’t feel like we had a lot of guidance. I felt like we were on our own.” He also revealed that despite the BBC spending a whole day filming, only four seconds of footage was used, “which wasn’t a particularly great use of time or of license payer’s money.”