Bobo Lobo, Little Stonegate

With the seemingly unstoppable Latin craze sweeping the nation, York has not been left untouched. To satisfy your taste for the Latin flavour there is the Latin American infused restaurant, Bobo Lobo. Tucked away off Little Stonegate in York’s trendiest quarter, Bobo Lobo embodies the experience in York’s blustery and cobbled streets.

The restaurant interior offers a haven from the cold realities of winter in Northern England and you could be forgiven for thinking you are somewhere else. At the front, there is a stylish bar serving a huge number of inspired cocktails. Meanwhile, the restaurant section at the back is by far the most remarkable. With its low-level red and blue wall-lights, slanted skylights combined with painted Cuban art, it offers a laid-back, yet cosy atmosphere. Whilst Bobo Lobo offers a great atmosphere, what makes it stand out even more is the excellent food – just £8.45 for three courses if you’re willing to come between 5-7pm on a weekday. While this means choosing from a set menu of three starters, three main dishes and two desserts, the choices are excellent and diverse enough that everyone should find something to their liking.

Of the starters offered, the empanadas (Latin style pastries filled with lamb, caramelised red onions & feta cheese) are particularly mouth-watering. Meanwhile, those with more of a nacho inclination are also very well catered for. The mains are equally first-rate with spicy crispy pork in tacos, Puerto Rican paellas and a variety of Cuban style burgers. Desserts come easily recommended when the choice includes strawberry daiquiri cheesecake, which tastes as good as it sounds. In all, Bobo Lobo provides an unbeatable combination of excellent food, low price and great atmosphere. If you wanted to make even more of a night of it with even better value, you could start by taking advantage of Oscars 5-7 happy hour drinks – just a quick salsa across the street.