All change as colleges announce new JCRCs

THIS YEAR’s NEWLY elected JCRC Chairs come to their positions in the new year with a fresh range of ideas and approaches.

Langwith Chair Lucy Wickham’s unusual proposal was “not to promise anything”, on the basis that if she included no policies in her manifesto, everything she did achieve would be “a bonus”.

However, having been elected she declared that supporting Langwith Bar and winning the College Sports League for the second year running would be two of her priorities.

Sam Bayley, the new President of the Halifax College Students’ Association, plans to uphold James Flinders’ legacy in continuing to be referred to as ‘President’ rather than ‘Chair’. He also aims to “make Xtra the number one event on campus”, and improve College performance in sports events, after a disappoiting year for York’s largest college.

The new Chair of Derwent College, David Jones, has vowed to campaign for the extension of Club D opening hours and increase special offers in the bar.

Matt Burton, Goodricke Chair, said he wanted to impove events, get more people involved in College affairs and “bring back the sports cup to Goodricke”. He also said that there was a possibility of B Block being redecorated. The incoming Chair of James, Anne-Marie Canning, said she wanted to “improve on last year’s achievements” and raise the College’s profile. James’s successful RAG events were also a priority in her manifesto.

And this year’s Alcuin Chair, Tom Stratton, who arguably has the most difficult year ahead, wanted to “re-brand Alcuin completely”, hoping to show other students the “good side” of the College. But he could face an uphill struggle in keeping Alcuin’s unpopular bar Bee Henry’s open after recent reports have suggested the university are looking into closing it.

He was also keen to stress that getting foreign students more involved in the college was very important. And he would achieve this by “increasing the number of non-alcoholic events in the college”.