York University Challenge team fall at first hurdle

YORK UNIVERSITY PUT up a brave performance, losing against stiff opposition in the form of Cambridge’s Churchill college in a recently televised University Challenge broadcast.

The team made up of Olly Chadwick, Jenni Southern, David Hopkins and Peter Cabrera went out in the first round play-offs losing 170 points to 120 against Churchill college which Olly described as “crazy insane nerds”.

However, despite going out of the compeition the team can take heart from offering a much improved performance on last year in which Kat Richardson’s group were humilaited, going down 200-85 against University College Oxford.

David Hopkins, a third-year PPE student was the star of the evening. When asked by Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman “in the animal kingdom, the phylum pogonophora are so-named because they share what feature with human males?” he buzzed in with the answer “penis” which was met with roars of laughter from the crowd and fellow team-mates alike when it was revealed the actual answer was beards.

Another humorous moment came after the show, when David witnessed Jeremy Paxman “kicking back with a Carlsberg in the Green Room”.

Olly added that it was “nice to see a relaxed side” to a man who he thought was “quite stand-offish and scary”.

Filming took place in the summer at Granada Studios in Manchester. The team was formed from over one hundred York students with everyone required to sit a small quiz-style exam and the top eight results going through to the next round