Goodricke ‘Rehab’ posters force SU into tightening guidelines

A POSTER advertising Goodricke’s Rehab club night has once again sparked controversy on campus, and resulted in the SU introducing penalties to enforce restrictions on publicity passed earlier this year.

The poster, which depicts a female nurse posing in a tight PVC uniform, “contains all the same imagery” as one used to publicise Rehab in January, which also engendered many complaints and precipitated the introduction of publicity regulations by the SU.

Criticism of the poster has arisen from a number of different parties, including nursing students. Com-plaints were made through the SU Communications Officer, Women’s Officers, Services Officer and Welfare Committee.

Grace Fletcher Hall, an SU Women’s Officer, said that the poster was “tasteless, offensive [and] sexist” and had offended many people, particularly nurses who “have enough trouble contending with sexist stereotypes as it is”. She was also concerned that the poster might make students feel that they were expected to dress provocatively when attending campus events.

The complaints were discussed at Communications Committee, where it was decided that penalties should be introduced for those who do not comply with the existing SU publicity regulations, which state that all publicity put out by the SU, societies and JCRCs must be compatible with the SU Equal Opportunities policy. Goodricke voted in favour of the penalties.

Under the new changes, those found guilty by the Communications Committee of contravening publicity regulations will be fined the sum of £50, which will increase by £50 with every offence committed. Organisations found guilty of breaking the Equal Opportunities policy though advertising will first be warned and will then be allocated one less event by Events Committee in the following term.

Nat Thwaites-McGo-wan, the SU Services Officer, said “Regulations of this sort are very important and, in addition to the welfare implications, ensure that all groups putting on events are playing by defined rules” while Grace Fletcher Hall said that she hoped the new penalties would be “an effective deterrent against further transgressions”.

When asked what he thought of the poster, Micky Armstrong, the President of the Students’ Union, said “it is very difficult for people to decide what is sexist or indecent as everybody has different views and standards”, adding that he hopes campus publicity does not offend people “in this marketing driven world where sex sells”.

Colin Hindson, the outgoing Chair of Goodricke JCRC, was in favour of the new penalties, and said that while “exciting” imagery was often used to advertise events like Rehab, he “could see how the poster could be considered sexist”.