Toto’s, Fawcett Street

All but the most unobservant of this year’s freshers will be aware of Toto’s. It’s the pretty restaurant with the green trim on the corner of Fawcett Street. You’ll have passed it on your way in to town many a time, and, if you are lucky, you’ll have stopped off to get a bite to eat. Although the location is hardly the most glamorous in York, the result is a very reasonably priced, authentic, friendly and atmospheric place to eat.

Of particular note is the happy hour offer between five and seven on weekday evenings, when pizza and pasta cost under a fiver. It’s a fantastic bargain, leaving enough change in your pocket to knock back a bottle of wine for around fifteen quid, or to indulge in one of Toto’s famous desserts; all £3.50 and all delectable. For those with more money to burn, the specials board plays host to an ever-changing combination of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes.

Whether you’re looking for a quiet romantic meal downstairs, where the smells from the open-plan kitchen waft enticingly around you, or you require more space upstairs for a larger gathering, Toto’s won’t disappoint. So next time you’re wandering past, resist the urge to get trashed in the Postern, and satisfy your taste buds instead.

Reviewed by Alex Olorenshaw