SU President Micky Armstrong

SU President Micky Armstrong, has some Christmas reflections, thoughts for the future and wishes happy holidays for all

“So here it is: Merry Christmas. Everybody’s having fun. Look to the future now it’s only just begun”. You know the song; annoyingly festive and merrily catchy. But it does have a point.

Christmas time is a good time to reflect on the year, its highs and lows, and also to plan for the year ahead. First years will go home for their first holiday, and, in my experience, last about a week before they itch to return to their dirty kitchens, late nights and snakebite and black-fuelled ‘heart-to-hearts’.

I have been reflecting. As always the Union has had its ups and downs; thankfully, however, I believe that the ups have outweighed the downs. We are settling in to the “Alexander Constitution” and all the changes that occurred from it. Online voting is becoming a successful way of shaping the Union’s democracy. Elsewhere, our clubs and societies are blooming; our political parties draw in high profile speakers and had a major part to play in this year’s General Election. There are obvious successes with awards being won for both of our newspaper teams in national competitions, whilst URY have won themselves the accolade of best student radio and with that 2 hours of air-play on Radio 1.

I don’t have enough space in the paper to list all the successes of the Union, but it is important that for once we don’t focus on the smaller negatives – after all it is Christmas.

So sit back, enjoy your eggnog, watch White Christmas, It’s a Wonderful Life and Love Actually, get your thick jumper and your socks from your family, eat drink and be merry and congratulate yourself on all the good things that you did this year. For one day think only of the positives.

This will put you in great stead to start planning for next year; how can we repeat these successes?

You will see the emergence towards the end of term of the “Hey Micky!” postcards produced during Freshers week. These are not an egotistical way to get my face around campus but an opportunity for you to contact me. I’d like to hear your problems, what you would like the Union to do…anything really: successes, failures, ideas, complaints. Just write them down and I look forward to hearing from you.

To all the students of this University, those taking part in Christmas festivities and those not, I hope you all have a truly happy holiday period. I’ll see you in the New Year.