Poor luck costs York in double Leeds loss

There has been very little to smile about this term for the York Men’s Football 1sts, and two defeats to Leeds Metropolitan within a week has piled on the misery for the White Rose as a disappointing terms draws to a close.

The Leeds Metropolitan thirds were the first to visit as York slumped to a 3-1 home defeat. The hosts had made a promising start too after Mark Redding glanced home a header from a Matt Martin corner on the left hand side. But Leeds Met quickly equalised, converting a low free-kick across the box to Ben MacPherson’s left, and they went on to take the lead just before the break with a simple tap-in after a cross from the left.

Ten minutes into the second half York found themselves further behind with more than a hint of bad luck. After an impressive run down the left, a visiting striker crossed from the by-line and Aaron Burke’s attempted clearance sliced of his boot, looping over MacPherson and clipping the underside of the bar before going in.

York found themselves facing opposition from Leeds Metropolitan again a week later, this time against their second team which currently top the BUSA table ahead of their own thirds who had previously beaten York.

It was a much improved performance from York, although they found themselves quickly behind as keeper MacPherson unconvincingly come out to claim a chipped ball into the box, which was then headed over him into an empty net. York got themselves back into the game before an atrocious refereeing decision made their job even harder. Ben Matthews, later voted man of the match, put in excellent sliding tackled and came away with the ball only to see the referee award a penalty to the surprise of the crowd.

York replied with a well-deserved strike about 5 minutes later as Henry Smith cut inside and found Pardeep Singh, who then shifted the ball over once more to Martin who took a touch and drilled home from twelve yards. Leeds Met responded well though, and restored their two goal advantage with an easy tap in to make it 3-1.

As a scintillating first half reached its climax, York pulled themselves back into the game once more just before half-time. Redding received the ball about thirty yards from goal, beat one defender before shifting outside of another and unleashing a low twenty-yard strike which went in off the post to give him his tenth goal for York this season.

York pushed Leeds Met all the way in a closely fought second-half, but the home side sealed the win with a quarter of an hour left on the clock after a well worked move down the left. It finished 4-2 leaving York still looking for their first win in BUSA, and despite being marred by a bad refereeing decision the match contained some positives.