Goodricke showing early promise

This time last year it was Langwith that had blown away all other competition to lead college sport by a comfortable margin, and despite being pushed all the way they managed to stay on top all year. This year their dominance has failed to return and instead Goodricke have built on the incredible momentum they picked up in the spring and summer terms last year to put themselves securely in pole position. They lead by considerably less than Langwith did at Christmas in 2004 but nonetheless look like very strong candidates to maintain their form and go on to take the college sport title in the same way that Langwith were able to.

For Dan Whitlam, who helped to engineer Goodricke’s impressive run last year which brought them to within 14.5 points of Langwith having suffered a disastrous start, the success this term has been down to “consistency across the board, having finished in the top 3 of virtually every sport.”

Whitlam also highlighted the efforts of the Goodricke badminton and pool teams who cruised easily to unbeaten victories in their respective leagues; the badminton team losing only 6 of the 60 individual games they played all term.

But clearly the emphasis is on the ground work that was put in earlier this year which saw Goodricke recover from a poor winter term which had them languishing in fifth. In 2005 alone Goodricke have really been the force in college sport, and they have looked much more like the college that dominated college sport between 1997 and 2002. Could these glory days be returning?

New sports rep Nik Ljubicic thinks so, “if we can keep this momentum going in the leagues and improve our performances in the one day tournaments, I believe that we should be very hard to catch.”

Success in the one-day tournaments is the classic cliché cited by any college sport rep, and Goodricke have had some good results in them this term, finishing second behind Langwith in tag-rugby just a few weeks ago. They will need some more results of this kind in the tough one-day events coming up over the course of the next couple of terms if they are to really stake a claim for the college sport crown.

College sport at a glance

1. Goodricke…………………………….70.5 pts
2. Derwent………………………………64.5 pts
3. Vanbrugh……………………………58.5 pts
4. Halifax……………………………….58 pts
5. Langwith…………………………….51 pts
6. James…………………………………46.5 pts
7. Alcuin…………………………………41 pts

By Luke Chiverton Sports correspondent