Criminals take advantage

It would seem that international students are getting the short-straw. Not only do they live potentially thousands of miles from ther family, pay up to three times the amount as British students and work harder than most of us would ever dream of, they are also taken advantage of by racist, mindless fraudsters.

Such crooks have no place in the soceity we live in, but should remind all of us that we cannot take for granted our own safety and welfare even when placed in the supposed safe campus bubble which we all live in. This has been highlighted even more in recent weeks by thefts in Halifax college and the Chemistry department, further more the terrible case of drink spiking which occured at White D.

With such criminal acts taking place within the small neighbourhood of York University all of us need to be more watchful especially during the Festive season when crime is at its highest.

As for fraudsters; it is essential that students are not complacent about giving out personal details to strangers around campus or online where the inpersonality and seeminly innocent nature of an emailed questionnaire can actually have disasterous consequences to the bank balance. Everyone needs to become more aware of the threats which are posed by even small cities such as York.