AU Edge: With AU President Nik Engineer

Since this is my last column before Christmas, I thought it a good time to look back over my first term as AU president. Despite the massive disappointment of not having all the new facilities finished, and the various difficulties that have arisen because of the delays, the term has been a good one for the Athletic Union. We started as ever with the AU Mart, which this year posed a greater logistical challenge than ever before, with less space available and more stalls required. Despite these problems, and an entirely new membership system to work with the event still managed to be a success, with many of clubs attracting record numbers of new members. Sticking with the events, the AU hosted the first ever club dance-off which raised £172 for the charity of the year, and more importantly, generated a fantastic atmosphere. We also agreed to host World Snooker to help promote the UK Snooker Championships which are currently taking place at the Barbican. Despite the last minute nature of the event, we still managed to raise money for the charity of the year, and World Snooker were extremely happy with the event overall.

We have also been busy behind the scenes working hard to improve efficiency and communication within the AU. We have recently created and distributed the first ever AU Presidents Newsletter for club presidents, and planned a bi-weekly newsletter for all members next year. We have written and passed a new constitution, designed and implemented a new website, revised the sports centre timetable for the coming year, produced a revised budget for the coming year, redesigned the sports centre car park in preparation for coming developments, held club officer training, produced a plan for the year, and much more.

All the good work that has taken place so far is down to the AU Executive committee and the AU staff, and so I thank them for their commitment and dedication over the last 10 weeks in making the autumn term such a great start to the year.