Akash Tandoori, North Street

★★☆☆☆

Location: 10 North Street, YO1 6JD
Website: http://www.akashyork.co.uk/

As a ‘curryoholic’, I always enjoy trying a new curry house, but that enjoyment is also mixed with trepidation – will the curry be nice? Could I have got a better one from my usual “dealer”? I had heard good things about the Akash and decided to give it a try. One instant plus was that it didn’t have the standard Indian restaurant music tape stuck on a loop that most places in York seem to use.

The waiters were all very attentive (possibly a little too attentive – we averaged one each) and served our rice for us, helped us off/on with our coats and even realised that I was holding snooker cue under my arm and not a flute. However, the important part of the meal is the food. The main meals were about £6-£8, but add on rice and naans, and you’re down an extra fiver. Poppadoms are another quid, but the real killer was the bottle of Cobra at over £4!

I opted for the Chicken Tikka Dansak (I’m a big fan of lentils) with mushroom rice and a peshwari naan and, while the food was nice and of a very reasonable quantity, the total cost just didn’t seem worth it; I prefer having change from a twenty. For a lesser price there are much better places, and while nothing was terrible, nothing was that good either.

Reviewed by N. Luke Abraham