Single Honours

It was with a sense of sadness and, erm, possibly relief that we assembled in Langwith coffee bar for the last time this year. Well, in truth we shall probably return before the term is out, but it was the last time we came together in order to pass a harsh judgement on the efforts of the musical community. Which is a poncy way of saying that most of the singles were shite. Plain shite.

Mercedes – Daydream

An intriguing offering from a young lady who clearly can’t decide whether to be a little bit country or a little bit rock ‘n’ roll and isn’t really either. Lyrics of increasing sexual suggestiveness are ruined by the vocal, which sounds like prolonged vomiting played back on a reel-to-reel at reduced speed, and the guitars are migraine inducing. Jen was a little more generous, describing it overall as “not bad to sleep to”.

Do Me Bad Things – Move in Stereo

A fresh, quirky little tune from the purveyors of glamourous indie rock and roll. It’s only a matter of time before the Toffs’ indie boy collective are seen doing their special headrolling dance to this. Jen thought it lacked the catchy quality of some of their earlier single releases, “but you can’t hate a sing with a guitar solo that poppy”. She went on to add that they were probably “the meatloaf of glam rock”. Quite.

Little Barrie – Long Hair

This is so stripped down it could be arrested on an obscenity charge. For a gorgeous moment it sounds like Der Stuhl era White Stripes – is that bluegrass I hear? – then the chorus kicks in and it gets a little dull. Still, there are definite Gomez echoes and they pick up coolness points for being called Barrie.

The Raveonettes – Ode to LA

This is the tune that made all our hard work this week worth it, the Raveonettes have, in Jen’s words, “become the chilled, melodic band they want to be”. She thought the festive bells reduced the driving- around-to-it-in-a-convertible potential, but this saccharine bitter masterpiece about smog and heartbreak is our Single of the Week.

Nelly – N Dey Say

This single deserves a mention purely because it samples the Spandau Ballet 80s classic True, and seamlessly makes it into an R’n’B track (and that’s something I think none of us would have ever expected!) However, Martin Kemp won’t have to worry about his pop crown being taken by this ‘gangster rapper’ because, quite frankly, Spandau Ballet did it best.

(Jenni Marsh and Daisy Steinway)