Rob Thomas, ‘Something To Be’

Blandness is never a good thing in a pop record, especially from an album that promised so much, but tragically delivers so little. Something To Be, the new album from Matchbox 20 singer Rob Thomas, is possibly the most disappointing release to pass through the nouse office this year, especially since his last release, the collaboration Smooth with Carlos Santana, was such a big hit in the UK.

Unfortunately, with his latest album it seems like Thomas is pandering to the kind of sanitised over-produced Latin pop niche that Ricky Martin had such phenomenal success with in the late 1990s. Not that this would be a problem, if he had not made a career out of releasing records like Mad Season which make Something To Be sound uninspired and distinctly average.

Lonely No More, the first single to be released, sounds like a cast off from Enrique Inglasias with Spanish influences that should be left to Jennifer Lopez, and after four weeks it is languishing at number twenty-four in the charts

The only saving grace on this record is Problem Girl, a song which is so much better than any of the others that it seems almost strange to hear it amongst this bad bunch, although the fact that Problem Girl sounds like a Matchbox 20 song may have more than a little to do with this.

(Laurence Newman)