Oasis, ‘Don’t Believe The Truth’

When asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, Paul McCartney replied he wasn’t the best drummer in The Beatles let alone the world. Bad drumming must be hereditary as Ringo’s son, Zak Starkey demonstrates on Don‘t Believe The Truth. Nevertheless, his effortless approach to music brings a new dynamic to the group and encourages a more relaxed, understated Oasis.

Turn Up The Sun is the driving album opener that was to be expected, followed by the one chord affair that is Mucky Fingers flavoured with a Harmonica solo that sounds like a derailing train. The album closes with Let There Be Love which features a Gallagher duet. With the nineties over Lyla is the closest Oasis get to their original sound, a song which Noel Gallagher has described as their poppiest single since Roll With It from (What’s the Story) Morning Glory.

The composing duties were shared amongst the band, with Noel contributing five songs, three by Liam, two from Andy Bell and Gem Archer writing one song. This has resulted in a different Oasis sound and the outcome is shown in accomplished numbers such as The Importance of Being Idle, the Liam penned confessional Guess God Thinks I’m Able and guitarist Gem’s soul contribution, the ever optimistic A Bell Will Ring. These tunes justify Oasis’ longevity and if Andy Bell sticks to playing bass and not composing, Oasis should be around for a long time to come. Don’t Believe the Truth marks the maturing songwriting of the younger Gallagher brother, with Liam’s contributions showing great improvement from Little James. In comparison with Gallagher senior’s songs, Liam’s songs lack the inconsistency of Noel’s, yet he can still write anthemic flag wavers like the impressive Let There Be Love.

Don’t Believe The Truth lacks the edge of Definitely Maybe, the god awfulness of Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and is far, far removed from the rock n’ roll swindle that is Be Here Now. The truth being that by abandoning their rock n’ roll swagger for pensive acoustic music, their sixth record is their most thoughtful and mellow release to date.

(Chris Spillane)