Nik Engineer’s plans for York

From the end of Week 10 Stuart Leslie will be replaced by the towering figure of Nik Engineer as Athletic Union President. Interrupting him form his busy schedule as current vice-president, Nik was able explain what York has to look forward to in the coming year.

When asked about his plans for the year ahead Nik said “revitalising the AU” was a key aim, with “increased efficiency and professionalism” his main priority. Although he didn’t wish to go into specifics about the policies he would be looking to implement, he did promise a “summer of policy planning” from him and the other officials which will make up the team leading the Athletic Union next year.
Nik’s main ideas for transforming the AU seem to revolve around the “modernisation of the way people join the AU” with the introduction of online forms for signing up “vital” to his plans.

This will be a great relief to many students who have been forced into attending an AU mart, an event which has suffered as first years stay away with Fresher’s Week hangovers. Such simple improvements will no doubt increase the appeal and accessibility of the AU.
With continuous improvement of the AU the main theme, it will be no doubt a great benefit to University sport when the new facilities are completed which Nik hopes will open in the spring term.

And with the sporting “advancements in the Heslington East development” he claims 2006 will be one of the “most important and interesting years in recent history.”

On a final note before Stuart hands over the reigns to his deputy, Nik wanted to thank “the wonderful people” that he has worked with over the past twelve months for “one of the best years for a long time” in York’s recent sporting history. But with a “better and stronger AU” promised for 2005/06, things may get even better.