Langwith victorious in three way fight

Langwith made history in the early hours of Monday morning as confirmation came through that they had won their first ever college sport title.

They fought off strong competition from York University’s two most historically successful sporting colleges, Goodricke and Derwent, who finished second and third respectively, and took the top spot by a margin of fourteen and a half points.

The victory will have come as a huge relief for a college who exactly a year ago were agonisingly knocked off the top spot on the final day by Vanbrugh, who took the title by an unbelievable half point margin. However, Langwith did not mourn their defeat over the summer period, but came back even stronger this year, as they produced convincing displays throughout the winter months, and took a comfortable lead into the final term.

This is not to suggest that it was straight forward though. Langwith had to fight off a Spring term resurgence from early favourites Halifax who looked liked they might overhaul them at one stage. It wasn’t to be though as Halifax self-destructed in the later stages of the year. More problems were to follow in the final week though, as they suffered a disappointing Sports Day on the Wednesday of Week 8, finishing a long way behind late challengers Derwent and Goodricke. But their Langwith spirit (which is apparently part of us all, so we’re told) and excellent form throughout the year saw them through to a well deserved victory.

Now they must look ahead to becoming only the third college to ever retain their title. But in 2005/06 they must improve in the athletics and their one-day events or face a less impressive final position next time around.