Kapadokja – George Hudson St.

I have often staggered past the garish yellow exterior of Kapadokya on my way to Toffs and wondered what the food was like. The menu was certainly more lamb-based than I expected. The lamb here is served in every possible form, from steaks, kebabs, köftes, dumplings, and the superb lamb shank which we made short work of.

Service was friendly and swift, our waiter revelled in the fact that he was able to speak in his native tongue with our friend and warmly recommended the Turkish Efes beer. Everything possible was done to accommodate us, which was really nice to see in a world of sniffy waiters and insolent service. The food was frightfully good. I started with humus, which was rather dry for my taste but otherwise excellent. Other starters were also of a high standard and I recommend the vegetarian options. The mains were very filling to the extent that light eaters should think about having two starters. Despite there being a selection of every form of lamb, there are other dishes and vegetarians are not forgotten.

Perhaps it is my Turkish friend Selen’s views which are of more consequence than mine. She felt the food was very traditional and cooked in an authentic way. Speaking personally I will definitely return to Kapadokya, which is praise enough; specially as I find it hard to say a bad word for this restaurant, which may surprise you!