York academics’ Honours

THE ACHIEVEMENTS of two York Professors have been recognised by their inclusion in the Queen’s 2005 Birthday Honours List.
Professor Jonathan Bradshaw, Head of the Social Policy and Social Work Department, received the Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) for his services to child welfare.

An advisor to the House of Commons Work and Pensions Committee and Associate Director of the Social Policy Research Unit, he first joined the University as a research student in 1967.

Speaking to nouse, Bradshaw said he was “very pleased” to have been given the accolade. “It was a great surprise. I did not think that trouble makers like me got awards,” he remarked.

Bradshaw’s research has involved studies of child poverty in the UK and other comparative countries. He has also done work on the topics of social security, family change and the social needs of the elderly.

Professor Haleh Afshar, a member of the University’s Politics Department, was awarded the Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), for services concerning equal opportunities.

Afshar’s research centres around the Politics of the Middle East, and the fields of women’s studies and development studies.
She has been a member of the Group which advises the Cabinet Office Women’s Unit, seeking to raise awareness of gender issues among the civil servants who process the applications of female asylum seekers.

‘I think the award was in recognition for a life-time work with minority Muslim women in West Yorkshire but also nationally.
‘It was totally unexpected since most of my campaigns had been aimed at changing policy and therefore highly critical of the status quo.
‘I am lost in admiration for a country that rewards you for criticising it,’ she added.

The Birthday Honours List, published a week ago, is intended to acknowledge the services and achievements of individuals in a diverse range of areas, including sport, academia, community projects and charity work.

The two York academics’ awards follow the recent election of Alastair Fitter to a Royal Society Fellowship, continuing a long line of successful accademics at York.