York strong in Netball

York netball club built on the success of wins at last year’s Roses by taking six points from a possible seven. The home side came through in both the 1sts and 2nds matches, but lost 25-34 in the thirds. Club President Emily Woods, who was injured towards the end of the second quarter, appeared delighted with the result and stated that Roses success was ‘a good end to a difficult season.’

Coming into the 1sts match Lancaster Captain Shauna Morley predicted that it would be a ‘close game that could go either way,’ and after a tight opening the teams were tied at 8-8 at half time, with the shooting dominated by York’s Cat Doukin and Morley for Lancaster.

The pace of the match increased in the third quarter, with both teams determined to push into the lead, but it was York that took the initiative as their shooters got 14 goals in lightening-quick succession to make the score 22-15.

The game finished a close 28-23, not quite the ‘walkover’ that 1sts captain Caroline Murphy had described last year’s Roses as, but nonetheless a resounding success. Shauna Morley praised her Lancaster players, saying she ‘couldn’t have asked for more. They played really well.’ For Woods York’s win was down to ‘a lot of hard work, determination’, and using the home advantage to good effect.

Jessica Levy