York sink Lancaster in the pool

There was drama in the pool as York’s swimmers clinched a dramatic 84-76 victory after a close-fought competition.

With just three relays remaining Lancaster needed to win all three to draw level. The visitors won two of the remaining races, but York sealed victory in the Mens 4x50m medley with captain Dan Pietkiewicz powering home in the final leg after an extremely close race which left everybody holding their breath.

Lancaster had taken an early 21-19 points lead after the first three events, but York were able to turn this around with strong wins from Phil Gaffney in the 100m medley and Dominic Halls in the 50m fly to take control of the fixture. The whole squad consistently managed to pick up points as York looked to make the win a formality.

The Womens 4x50m freestyle team consisting of Sarah Darwin, Charlotte Emery, Corinne Brass and Jemma Senczyszyn put in a particularly sensational performance, winning by a huge margin to ensure that the swimming club avenged last years defeat in Lancaster with style.

In the Mens Water Polo, York cruised to a convincing 12-1 victory as they outclassed a disorganised Lancaster team. Having gone behind, impressive points from Dominic Halls, Giles Martin and Romello Fernando allowed York to take the initiative from the second quarter onwards.

Having taken the lead York never looked like losing their grip on the game. David Wheeler led a tight defence which made the home side’s lead seemingly unassailable, before points from Dan Fellows and Halls again rounded off an outstanding performance.
Unfortunately the women’s team had a much tougher time, as they lost 14-1 to an experienced Lancaster team that took advantage of every scoring opportunity. Fliss Staff netted York’s only goal, but it wasn’t enough as Lancaster’s American import Annie Richardson scored five to condemn York.

Despite the heavy defeat there were valiant efforts from York’s Sally Archer and Karen Buckle in a team which was simply less experienced than their Lancastrian opponents, but still promises much for the future.

Mark Macdonald and Alannah Crux