Turnbull the hero in cricket triumph

On a blustery Friday afternoon at 22 Acres, James Turnbull produced a match-winning batting performance to give York University an impressive 5 wicket Roses victory over Lancaster. Turnbull provided a determined, vital performance, batting throughout the innings, and ending with an unbeaten 74.

In a match dominated by two excellent batting performances, York proved to have the edge in both the batting and the bowling as they took 9 wickets for 178 in the lunchtime session. Although the score set was reasonably competitive, Lancaster’s inability to remove York’s main run scorers proved to be their downfall, as the White Rose won with only three overs to spare with a score of 179-5.

On a day where rain was expected but never came, Lancaster will no doubt feel disappointed that they did not set a higher total for York to chase. An aggressive opening partnership which included several boundaries saw the visitors reach a run total of 38 after 8 overs. However York’s captain Matthew Belk and fellow teammate Andrew Milnes, who took 3-41 and 2-22 respectively, tightened up the bowling attack and the first wicket was taken at 43-1.

The Lancastrians began to become frustrated as the runs dried up, this lead to several late dismissals. However credit must go to a sterling batting performance from the Lancaster opener Matthew Bottomley who at times carried a one-man fight to the York fielders and managed 56 runs before being dismissed.

After the break it was clear that the only way Lancaster could win was by taking early wickets, the most important being James Turnbull. The White Rose opener proved to be the thorn in the side of a Lancaster attack spearheaded by ex-York first-team captain Chris Oldfield’s younger brother, who took two wickets. Turnbull’s reputation for being a slow, solid batsman was cemented as he showed superb concentration to bat throughout the innings and end with a match high of 74 not out.

With such solid batting performances, victory looked straight forward for York throughout the innings, and a quick-fire 23 from captain Matt Belk eased any nerves towards the end. After the game Belk was in a buoyant mood and stated that it was an ‘amazing game to participate in’ and was keen to point out that ‘everyone involved was brilliant’.

York’s cricket team can now look on to the season ahead and with positive all-round displays such as this it has the potential to be very successful.