Tennis spoils go to Lancaster

York’s tennis teams struggled to impose themselves against a strong Lancaster squad. The players had to contend with numerous rain breaks and a hail storm whilst strong winds wreaked havoc on attempted lobs and cross court passing shots. The conditions favoured those who could hit consistently and powerfully and maintain composure.

The mixed doubles were unable to produce a victory in six matches. A brave effort from the pairing of Brocklehurst and Lagcage characterised York’s spirit. Having lost the first set they battled into a 5-4 lead, demonstrating some subtle drop shots. But, Lancaster showed their class as York lost the second set 7-5.

Meanwhile against a Men’s team ranked two divisions higher in BUSA, captain Ed FitzGerald reflected on a ‘reasonable performance’ despite losing 12-3, and singled out credit for Hywel Care and Jean-Luke Morretti who won in the doubles, whilst Keith Gracia claimed York’s only other victory. The pick of the singles games was Morretti’s epic encounter which lasted nearly three hours. In a match containing excellent net play, he cruised to a 6-2 first set win. Losing the second, he then regained form, only to lose 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 after a thrilling tiebreak.

Shaun Messenger and Chris Love