Scholarships to be established in memory of York 9/11 victim

THREE NEW Economics scholarships have been created at the University in memory of a former York student, Nigel Thompson, who died in the World Trade terrorist attacks on 11th September 2001.

The scholarships are to be funded by his twin, Neal Thompson, who is also a York graduate, and will be made available to students whose household income is less that £21,000 a year.

The twins both graduated in 1990 with a BSc in Economics, and Nigel went on to become a senior partner at Cantor Fitzgerald, a leading global financial services provider. At the time of the attacks he was working in his office on the 105th floor of the north tower as a broker, and was aged 33.

Neal attributed his brother’s success in his field of work to his time at the University. “Studying Economics at the University of York was fundamental to Nigel’s success in life. My brother and I both credited York as an essential link in our career success,” Neal said.
“I believe that a quality education from an institution such as York is vital to one’s future, and I sincerely hope that these scholarships will help students to achieve their dreams of pursuing a career in finance.”

The scholarship will consist of £2000 per annum for three years, designed to pay for accommodation costs, plus £1,000 a year for living costs which will be provided by the Department of Economics and Related Studies. The head of the Economics department, Huw Dixon, said that the scholarship would “provide a lasting memorial…We are grateful to Neal Thompson for giving future students this wonderful opportunity.”

Neal Thompson has dedicated the scholarships to his brother because he was “never afraid to reach for his dreams.” He also sees it as a “way to thank York and to help others who wish to follow the path my brother and I chose in economics.”

The scholarships join a plaque unveiled by Pat and Norman Thompson, the twins’ parents, that was laid in February 2004 next to a memorial tree by the Economics building.